Tuesday, May 29, 2012

GF Snack Break

Ah, popcorn.  Glorious, low-calorie, gluten-free popcorn.  It's good to eat for just about any diet or eating plan, unless you're corn-free or trying to avoid GMO's.  But I digress.

For snack this afternoon, I am making two varieties of wonderful popcorn.

Variety 1, for my son Raspberry, is the basic popcorn-with-butter-and-salt combo.  Variety 2, for me and whichever kids are brave enough to taste it, is a little more exciting.

I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, and I love it.  I have no idea where she got it from, but I figure that the more popcorn lovers who find it, the better.  If you know who I should give credit to for one of my favourite snacks, please let me know!



Sweet and Spicy Popcorn Snack Mix

2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp liquid honey
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch of each: ground cloves, cayenne, and salt
8 cups popped popcorn
1/4 cup chopped nuts (today I'm using cashews and pecans, and I put in way more than 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 300F.  Mix the butter, honey, and spices in a small bowl.  Microwave for a minute, stir, toss over the popcorn, nuts, and berries.  Spread on a lightly greased baking sheet (or two), and bake for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Allow to cool a bit before eating.  Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.  Makes 8 cups or so.



In case you were wondering, my kids aren't actually named after fruit.  I just didn't want their names to be displayed on the internet overly much, so I gave them horrible nicknames.  Someday, I bet, they'll get me in trouble for that. 




No comments:

Post a Comment