Friday, August 15, 2008

Carbon Footprints and Skateboard Handbags

Well, I seem to be suffering from writer's block. But I'll plug on ahead, anyway. Forgive me if the topics are muddled.

I've been wondering lately about global warming. Is it really, legitimately a bad thing? Isn't carbon dioxide really good for plant growth? I'm skeptical, and I find it so hard to sort through all the information out there. Plus, wikipedia basically says that "most credible scientists" are on-board. Translation: If you don't believe in global warming, you're an idiot. Well, scientists have been wrong before... and they seem to suffer from mass pressure to back the "in" research.

And I believe in reading the research and deciding for myself.

But the research fades and hides behind layers of websites toting carbon offsetting and the like, as if everyone who's anyone already knows what's going on and, of course, agrees. But how am I to agree when I can't find the basic data? More mining to do, I guess. If there are any great researchers out there who don't have four kids and a house to take care of, let me know. :)

Aside from my personal global-warming crisis, I found the most wonderful website today! I was reading my latest copy of Alive magazine and came across a picture of a clutch purse made out of an old skateboard. Intrigued, I walked my cup of coffee over to the computer and typed in the web address.

Jackpot!

As you'll see to the right side of my page, I even added a link to -- music, please! -- the wonderful fantasy land filled with beautiful and weird bags (have I mentioned I love bags?) made out of candy wrappers, cd's, chopsticks, and even juice boxes. Brilliant, creative, and recycled!

All in all, it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment