Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Energy Project, Day 8

I realize I haven't blogged, like promised, the last couple of days. But I have a really good reason: I went to bed on time instead.

For some strange reason (maybe it's the four kids at home during the day), I find it easiest to write at night. But, the last couple nights, by the time I was ready to write something, I was also ready to sleep. I am very proud to announce that I, like a good girl, chose sleep.

I realized, when I woke up this morning, inwardly groaning and resentful at starting a new day, that I needed a serious attitude adjustment. Why was I being so grouchy about waking up? Here's my theory: for the last couple months, I had reverted to cared-for status while nursing a broken ankle, and, now that I'm back to being in charge of everything -- with no help, I might add -- I've been having trouble making the switch back to grown-up thoughts. Sad, but true. That groaning resentfulness? Completely reminiscent of my high school and early-twenties attitude.

Thank God, I have learned since then not to be such a whiny baby. I guess I just temporarily forgot about my new skills.

So, I rolled up my mental shirtsleeves, said no to self-pity, and got myself out of bed. I made some extra coffee today for added emphasis. I kept moving, forcing myself to focus on accomplishing those tasks which I had been mentally listing for the moment I could walk, and which I had sidelined in favour of being tired.

I actually got some things done today. And I feel great about it!

So, the day's lesson: attitude might just be worth as much as caffeine when it comes to energy levels and motivation.

Here's hoping -- no, deciding -- that I'll wake up on the right side of bed tomorrow morning. After all, I still have all that filing to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment